Sunday, September 11, 2022

Carson Jones: Weeks 1-3 Spaceship

 Inspiration:


    I am a level designer and an avid video game fan, so when I heard we could do castles or spaceships I was pretty excited. My favorite game of all time is Persona 5, which has both a castle and a few spaceships. I chose this spaceship because it's the Persona of one of the party members, and I always thought it looked really cool. It has a standard UFO shape, but it also have some really neat designs on it as well as bulbs on the underside.

Process:


    To start off the model, I first used the truncated cone to make the base of the spaceship. After that I used a second truncated cone to determine how much of the original cone I wanted to carve out using boolean split. With that done, I decided to move upwards to the green cylinder. I used Osnap to make the cylinder the same size as the truncated cone and snap to it. I then created another truncated cone on top of that cylinder to form the very top of the spaceship. I then created a sphere halfway inside of the top truncated cone. I then changed the rotations settings in the general rhino settings to lock every 72 degrees. This allowed me to rotate the sphere around the origin a total of five times and copy it, with equal spacing in-between them. I then used boolean split to carve out where the spheres were. They carved into both the upper truncated cone and also the green cylinder. Next I created the blue, upside-down truncated cone on the underside of the spaceship. I created a cylinder, then stuck a smaller sphere on the bottom of it to create a bulb. Finally, I used the same rotation method I used for the spheres up top on the bulbs below to make five of them, all evenly spaced.

Materials:

Carson Jones - Spaceship Overall View

Carson Jones - Spaceship Overall View 2

Carson Jones - Spaceship Birdseye View

Carson Jones - Pedestrian View

    For my spaceship, I couldn't copy the intricate texturing and patterns with just materials, so I decided to make the outer shell black with the cylinder being green. I decided this because the actual body of the spaceship is black, while the patterns are green, and I still wanted to use both colors. I made the spaceship reflective because of the very reflective surface the original spaceship has. I chose the lighting to be generally lit everywhere because the spaceship is in space, so all of it should be lit up. For the underside of the spaceship, I made the truncated cone blue because it matched the color of the lights it had in the original. The bulbs I kept to be primarily the same color as the original as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment