Sunday, September 11, 2022

Helena Silva: Week 1 Castle

 Inspiration:

    My inspiration was to model a modern feel but well-aged stone castle that had very interesting and fun shapes. I always loved homes that had either an outdoors and isolated feel to a gothic and mystic atmosphere. I am also a big admirer of stones when it comes to homes because it gives the impression that the house is durable and safe. The big reason I picked the castle in particular was just the overall elegance it gave. I was fascinated with the structure and its old-english style.

Side

Back

Front


Process:

    The process I used was to first look at my references very carefully. I would first build with the Polyline Tool to make the desired shape I wanted. Then to build my shape, I would use the Enclosed Planar Curve Tool. From there I would use the Solid Shape Tool to build the patios, towers and the pointed roof tops. After I started to get a feel of the direction I wanted to take, I became more ambitious to match some of the detail in the big towers, the stairs and the stairway rails.  The reason I did so is because I wanted to really give it a castle feel but keep that modern touch as seen in the front. To create more of the complex parts of the castle, I used the Boolean Union and Boolean Split Tool. These tools were very helpful and useful with making sure that everything was aligned, intersected and uniformed as to not creating any issues before rendering. Lastly, due to the castle being small but comprised of various shapes. I would evidently use the Copy and Paste Tool throughout the entire process because I found that the castle just needs simple shapes to build on top of one another. 

Castle with layers

Ghost view- with layers


Materials:

    The materials in my Keyshot images were mostly made out of wood. I decided that I wanted my castle to look as if it was built as an actual wooden model. This particular material gave me the sense that the castle was the beginning of a handmade child's dollhouse which I thought was really interesting as I wasn't sure what I wanted my castle to look like but I thought using the wood material for the front, back and the stairs would give a craftsman approach. The stairway rails are assigned a metal material. This was done on purpose to give the impression of sturdiness. I did go ahead and add a ground material just as a last minute decision as I was curious as to how the concrete material would come off of the wood in the rendering process.



Pedestrian view

Top view

Front view




No comments:

Post a Comment