Saturday, September 10, 2022

Yeon Poche: Project 01 - Spaceship

Inspiration

    My project was inspired by the Toad Mushroom Spaceship from Super Mario Galaxy. I liked how cartoony and exaggerated the shape was, but I wanted to make mine resemble more of a toy robot than a mushroom. I also thought that the interior would be a fun challenge because of the way the large windows let you see into the spaceship.

Inspiration - Toad's Ship

 
Process

    Rhino was initially a bit of a struggle for me, but once I became more familiar with the tools, it went smoothly. To make the main red metal dome, I used the curve tool to draw out half of the shape I wanted. I then used Revolve to turn the curve into a solid shape. After that, I repeated the shape with the tan metal. I decided that I wanted a longer stalk than the inspiration so that I could add more windows, so I used Surface Extrude and Group to make the stalk one long piece. 
    The hardest part for me was figuring out how to make the windows. I initially wanted to have the entire middle piece be hollow and tried several methods to create this shape, but I couldn't quite get it how I wanted, so, as a compromise, I copy and pasted the red top and scaled it down and then used the Circle tool to draw a cylinder that went deep enough to reach the small inner red piece. Then, I drew another circle around the interior of the red top and used the Array Curve tool to duplicate the cylinder 4 times. I wanted the glass windows to fit perfectly inside the spaceship, so for both the main red top and tan body, I would duplicate the spaceship pieces and the cylinders that would act as the window cutouts and then move the copies to the side. First, I would take the Boolean Intersection of the spaceship piece and the window cylinder to get the "glass" piece. Then, I would move the copies back to the origin and take the Boolean Difference of the same pieces to get the cutout effect. This allowed the pieces to fit perfectly within the ship. 
    For the bottom and top cap piece, I drew out half of a dome shape in a curve and then used Revolve to make it a solid piece. To get the cutout pieces, I used a process similar to the windows. I drew out an arc that went slightly outside the cap and then drew lines connecting to the center so that it resembled a pizza slice. Then, I used the solid curve extrude to make it into a 3D shape and duplicated it 3 times with Array Curve before using Boolean Difference.  

 

Model in Rhino with Ghosted View

Materials 

    For my spaceship, I wanted it to be lit by an outdoors environment. My file uses the Mountain Desert HDRI with some minor changes to the saturation and blur. I increased the saturation to help it feel more animated, and blurred the image slightly so that it wasn't reflecting like a mirror in the glass. I also rotated the object under the Image tab so that the environment gave the shapeship a rim light around the top of the red piece.

Model Painted Black in Keyshot

    Because the model is simplistic and the materials are highly reflective, it was a challenge to find one that was not too reflective, like chrome. I went with Titanium Textured because it still looked like a reflective metal, but didn't reflect the environment as much as the polished metals. The inner piece that acts as a mock-interior uses Steel Rough and creates a nice almost frosted effect when it interacts with the Solid Glass used for the windows. 

Aerial View
Front View

Perspective/Pedestrian View


 




No comments:

Post a Comment