Sunday, September 11, 2022

Maria Quintanilla: Week 1 Castle

 Design Intent

    My castle was inspired by fantasy and gothic style castles. I was attracted to the complexity of these styles as well as the asymmetry of some fantasy examples (gothic style tends to be much more symmetrical). Through a further exploration of these styles I hope to achieve a higher level of detail and cohesiveness in my designs.

Inspiration
Modeling Techniques

        This design was created by only using primitive geometry. I focused on creating a balance between simple shapes and heavily modified pieces. It was also enjoyable to play with the extremes of certain shapes like the tops of the towers. My favorite pieces are those that look like pillars oriented in different directions throughout the castle. These components were created by overlapping a rectangular plane and a set of extruded curves, then cutting away the excess. It is the most complex geometry in my design as well and I am looking to work with and perfect this technique further. 


Castle with Layers

Ghosted View

Materials

    I decided to use materials that would emphasize the fantasy inspirations as well as the different pieces of geometry, thus the color choices and materials. The towers are made of glass since their various positions allow the other shapes to interact closely, and I thought glass would allow for them to show through with added complexity due to the distortion. The other components of the castle are made of a combination of white and black stone to create a further distinction between the geometry and add depth to the overall design. I chose the background for this piece because of the stark contrast created by the horizon and added color to the composition. 

Pedestrian View

Bird's Eye View







    


No comments:

Post a Comment