Sunday, September 11, 2022

Mayah Delagarza - Project 1 Castle

Inspiration

      I have never been a big fan of the big and complicated designs a lot of castles have, So I decided to go with a design based on real life medieval castles and retro castles. That style  would mainly consisted of basic shapes and a more blocky feeling to it without any sort of big and complex shape to it. I wanted to just make a simple and clean design.

Tantegel Castle - Dragon Quest I

Dover Castle - Karen Rose

Process

     I really liked working with the Rhino program, it felt easy to learn yet still a bit complicated to find everything. The more I worked, the easier it became for me to do the things I wanted to. Since I wanted a simple design, I made everything using the 3D shapes tool to emphasize that blocky and retro feel to it. The more I worked on it, the more things I would end up tweaking and moving around, hence why I ended up using the Scale and Scale1D commands a lot for just moving stuff around. I also made every whole using Boolean Difference, like when creating the door way, windows and little pattern on the top of the wall. There was a lot of things that were separated and I did not wanna keep having to click through them whenever I wanted to edit something, so I made sure to always use the Boolean Unionize tool to put all the things in one layer together. I also used the Rotate command to open up the door gently, which I ended up opening completely once I had finished completely.

Ghosted View and Layers

Rhino Render View

 

Materials 

    I had a pretty hard time with this at first since most things were unionized with each other, not allowing me to individually edit the sections I wanted to apart from other things, so I made do with what I had to work with. For the floor and door, I simply removed the plastic material and put wood textures over them to show the wooden floors and doors. I also applied some bars onto the door made out of Metal material along with a rusted metal texture. For the walls, I didn't have a proper texture for the walls or material, and even after not knowing how cloud key shot downloading works, I just decided to go ahead and use the basic plastic material along with the concrete texture and just changed the color. For the towers I used the diffuse material and used a stone block pattern texture and made the color a bit more brown. The path outside of the castle uses white granite material and the grass using a green soil texture on it. I made the tower in the middle completely out of the glass material and colored it red to contrast with the green floor outside.

Birds Eye Render

Overview Render

Pedestrian Render

 

No comments:

Post a Comment