Monday, September 12, 2022

Taylor Champ: Week 1-4 Castle

 Inspiration:

I decided to take inspiration in a piece of concept art for my castle design. The concept is by the artist MEMESU on Artstation, and it can be found here. While I did not end up sticking closely to my source material, the reference had a large impact on the final shape of my castle, which I've affectionately named "Flower Castle."

"Elf House" by MEMESU on Artstation

Process:

Through the process of creating this piece in Rhino, I got to know the software and explored it in more than primitive shapes to get a sense of the capabilities and how to go about creating complex shapes. As a result, I learned a lot about creating surfaces from curves, and the process of creating complex curves, however I still feel as though I've only scratched the surface of Rhino's tools.


Materials:

For my rendering, I felt more equipped to render in a program such as Blender's Cycles, or Maya's Arnold, so I worked with Cycles and created basic materials for my pieces which were largely plastic, gold, and gemstone inspired. In future projects, I may stick with this method, but implement Substance or Quixel for more complex materials, as I liked the image based lighting available in Blender.







No comments:

Post a Comment