Monday, September 14, 2015

Amanda Marder: Week 1 LED Sleeve

  Ghosted view of my 3D modeled "LED Sleeve" Assignment for ATEC 6351.
   Rendered in Keyshot in perspective.
 Rotated rendering of LED Sleeve.

Keyshot started to become more enjoyable with this model.  I was able to isolate certain layers such as the "Lens" and was able to use light as a material for it so it looks like light is shining through and reflecting on the side.

My inspiration of this model was supposed to be the flashlight from Silent Hill but as I starting building the basic structure I was immediately reminded of Mario!  The shaft of the sleeve resembles the pipe from the game Mario where a venus fly trap inspired plant reaches out and tries to eat anyone who try to attempt to jump over it's pipe home.  To update the current round cylindrical structure of the pipe I used an octagon to also improve on grip.  The character "Toad" is the button the turns on the flashlight theoretically.  The head of the flashlight is modeled after the venus fly trap character, teeth and all.  In order for the spots to show up on the model as a separate material in Keyshot I extruded cylinders throughout the bulb, boolean split and trimmed off what was excess.  On one row of teeth, three teeth were modeled individually starting with an ellipse and altering it's points to adjust the curvature.  Once I was satisfied I mirrored them to create one row.  Then mirrored them again but to create an opposing row of teeth so it has a complete mouth now.

This most intricate part of modeling this was when I decided to create a twist lock mechanism so the head and the shaft of the object separate and can be grown separately.  Basically the color (the blue object) sits into the shaft (green object) and then twists in only one direction.  The LED Sleeve of which we modeled was created so we can insert a function LED flashlight into it.  We merely just modeled a case for it.  When I modeled the venus plant as a head with teeth, that opening will not allow enough clearance for a flashlight to fit into the shaft so this was my solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment