Monday, September 14, 2015

Robert Manriquez: Week 2 Duck

Influence
 
           I was massively influenced by Doug's Quail Boy! I absolutely loved that show as a child. The cape, "Q", and quail feather strand are the trademarks for Quail Boy. As I started modeling the body, I wanted to figure out what route to go and the quail popped into mind, as well as the raven. I started molding the body and ended up going through 3 iterations of the duck until I landed here.
 


Techniques
 
            I followed the example very closely and deviated after I created the duck in the example. I didn't feel as if I had pushed myself, so I started to grab the control points and push them into exaggerated positions. The head proved to be the most challenging spot. I made the bill and cranium out of a sphere, grabbed the control points and pulled them out to a point. Then cut the beak off using a plane and split. The quail feather is a curve with the pipe tool. The cape is made from a curved plane that is extruded down a very small amount. The rope used for the cape is the same as the quail feather. The "Q" is made of two curves that were extruded. I then had to add a plane and trim the plane using the two curve extrusions.  The only thing you can't really see from the rendered shots are the manipulations of the control points, for the body, in order to give the duck wings.
 

Material
 
             The material is wood and plastic. I went this route because I started to think what the duck would look like if it were a toy. I started to make it a glass figurine, but then I didn't like how the cape and "Q" started to mold into the body. It didn't stand out as clear as I had hoped. As for the wood, I had to turn the roughness up very high in order to put the multiple wood rings around the body and head. The cape, "Q", and feather are all red oak with different roughness values. I wanted the cape to have more wood rings than the Q and feather.  The beak and feet are yellow, hard rough plastics. Nothing special with their attributes, I just used the plastics to maintain that shiny, organic, feel.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment