Monday, September 14, 2015

Vincent Lo: Week 2 Duck





As with my other assignments, I wanted to give a slight twist to the original assignment. I picked a baby penguin because I thought it had many similar elements to a duck, but was different enough to be unique. I also like baby penguins a lot so I used this assignment as an opportunity to make one.

The modeling techniques I used for this penguin reflected the techniques demonstrated in the duck tutorial. I made the head and body by warping spheres, used a Boolean to cut out the neck, and used BlendSrf to create a smooth transition from head to body. I also used BlendSrf to connect the body to the wings. The wings were generated by extruding from a curve and merging the very end of it to close the wing off. The facial patterns were created by cutting the spherical head with a curve.

The materials are simple because of the style I took with the model. I picked matte-like materials or low-specular materials because penguins in real life are fluffy and not shiny unless they’re wet, but I chose to represent a dry penguin. I added some higher specularity to the beak and eyes to make them pop out from the rest of the body.

No comments:

Post a Comment