Thursday, September 24, 2015

Julio Romero: Week 4 Printable Models









For my printed objects I wanted to create semi-complex shapes, so I decided to make a simple Menger sponge. I created the inverse of it as well, and also made small "holders" to put them on for display. When I was in high school, I tried to make a Menger sponge out of aluminum, but it didn't come out as well as I had hoped, so this will be sort of like my second attempt.

In Keyshot I decided to use a simple aluminum material as a nod to my previous attempt at making a Menger sponge. I lowered the specularity on it so that it looked only slightly polished, instead of being overly reflective. I used aluminum for all of the pieces instead of using differernt materials so that they all had a uniform look and so that none of them stood out more than the rest.

When I was modeling them in Rhino, I started out with a 3 inch cube, which I then cut by creating a box that was 1x1x3 inches, rotating and copying it twice in the two remaining axes, and then using a boolean operation. I scaled down the cube by 1/3 because I wanted it to keep it small, and I then created the inverse by boolean unioning the 3 boxes I used to cut the original cube. For the holders I created truncated pyramids (one with 3 sides and the other with 4), and then I deleted the bottom faces. Then I extruded the top faces downward and created a new bottom by connecting the edges of the bottom with the edges of the extrusion

The printed models were smaller than I expected because I didn't realize how small a 1-inch cube looked, but I was still pretty happy with how they came out. I did, however, forget that I had filleted all of the edges, and I didn't consider that I would make the holes too small to fit my inverse in.

No comments:

Post a Comment