Monday, September 14, 2015

Vincent Lo: Week 1 Castle





For the castle assignment, I chose to model a building from a cartoon series called Yu-Gi-Oh! that I watched when I was a child. I picked this building because it had interesting shapes that would be challenging to model. I also thought it had castle-like elements with its multiple rooftops and multi-sectioned body. And because I used to watch the series, it evokes nostalgia, making me more invested in the model.

During modeling, I drew a lot of curves to "outline" my shapes. Then I either extruded or lofted and capped my surfaces to give me solid shapes. I used a lot of object snapping to make sure my points aligned with other objects. Boolean differences were used everywhere: windows and doorways. I ended up playing a lot with my shapes because the concept cheated perspective with its stylization.

Because the cartoon was a very vibrant, comical series, the colors of my materials are very saturated. The colors are very flat, with the exception of highlights to capture shape, because of the stylized, simplicity of color that the cartoon adopted. The concept and shapes were very simple, so the colors matched the same principle.

No comments:

Post a Comment