Monday, September 14, 2015

Brittany Jones: Week 01 Castle


For my first assignment, I utilized Pinterest and Google Image Search for concept art/photographs (and will most likely do so for following projects). Since I am new to learning Rhino, I wanted to create something simplistic. Many of the castle images that I found were way too complex, until I came across an image of Boldt Castle on Heart Island (one of the Thousand Islands in Alexandria Bay, NY). As a Disney/Fairy tale enthusiast, I was drawn to the storybook design in addition to its petite size. I also liked that it was surrounded by water, since The Little Mermaid is my favorite Disney classic.


In regard to modeling techniques, I first created the solids (cubes, cylinders, cones, truncated cone, and tubes). I manipulated them as needed with the move, copy, scale, and rotate tools. I used the difference boolean to create the window nooks and then modeled cubes to fill in the spaces. The mirror tool was used for the top of the doorway overhang. The wire cut tool was used to remove unnecessary geometry from the underside of the bridges (tubes). And for the flags, I extruded a curve and joined the geometry to create a solid.


While applying materials in Keyshot, I kept in mind the idea of a shiny, Disney princess themed castle model for a young girl. Most girly girls love shades of pink, purple, and blue so I decided to incorporate those colors. I mainly chose the Axalta material shaders since they provided both specular and reflection, giving the model the amount of shine desired for a plastic figurine. For future projects, I plan to experiment with manipulated texture images from the web.


No comments:

Post a Comment