Sunday, October 3, 2021

Aidan Jones: Week 4: Project 2 Serial Sliced Sculpture of Original Design

Concept:




    The references that aided in my final design were Finn's demon blood sword from Adventure Time, the Buster Sword from Final Fantasy VII, and The Dragon Slayer from Berserk. I really liked the design of the cross and the color of Finn's sword but wanted to adopt the girth of the sword to make it seem more weighted when looking at and holding it. Initially, it was going to be a lot bigger, but seeing as I did not have the money, or the resources to pull off the scale of the Buster Sword and Dragon Slayer, I decided to make it smaller but still preserving a larger and wider blade. So at one point during the development, I suppose I could make The Beastbain from Nier; Replicant a reference for it as well. The appeal of the Dragon Slayer for me was that it is not exactly a sword, but more like a large chunk of iron with a dull and heavy edge. I decided to pull inspiration from The Buster Sword by using the withered, metallic, and worn condition of the blade itself. As well as a slight bit of asymmetry used in the handle, hilt, etc. 

Techniques:

    The way I approached the modeling process was probably unconventional but effective. I started out with a plane the shape of the blade and mirrored itself over the z-axis. I merged the vertices along the sides and began extruding more shape downwards. For the handle and hilt, I used cylinders and cubes while scaling and shaping according to my concept art. My favorite touch was the middle of the blade where I added three edge-loops and scaled them outwards. It created what I like to call a reverse bevel effect. I wanted it to create a lip in the middle rather than just widen the blade.




Materials:

For my rendering materials, I used a metallic red for the blade and made it rough yet reflective enough. For the sculpture, I coated it in duct tape to try and achieve the smoother yet rough appearance I was shooting for. The paint I got unfortunately dried to a different shade of red than I had hoped. I also used duct tape for the handle and end piece to create the same surface and effect. In renderings it was a similar ordeal except the material color was silver and black, respectively. I wanted the end piece of the handle to be the most reflective part to create visual interest. For my environment, I wanted to be in a place that someone would hang up their decorations (as people commonly do with swords).  But, for the second environment, I chose I used it so I could close in on shadow details and reflection better. For lighting choices in Keyshot, I chose medium 3 point lighting to give an overall demonstration of each material's roughness, color, and reflectiveness. Overall, my post-processing gave a good result, the only complaint being that the paint dried to the wrong shade and the duct tape was hard to maneuver around the serial sliced surface of the wood.



Physical Sculpture:







No comments:

Post a Comment