Sunday, October 10, 2021

Tately Diep: Week 4 Project 2 Adornment

Concept: 

    My design is inspired by the season of autumn. Initially, I was going to create a har needle barrette as seen in the collage of my inspiration photos but decided that my model had fit the aesthetic of a brooch better. I chose a ginkgo leaf for my main inspiration because of its unique shape. 

Techniques: 

    I heavily utilized drawing Free-form curves to create the ginkgo leaf pattern by tracing on top of my concept sketches and used the Mirror tool to make sure my leaf was perfectly symmetrical. To add more structure to the leaf, I used the Pipe tool on the curves to replicate the texture of the ginkgo leaf pattern. I then played around with the Bend tool until I got the brooch to curve to my liking for it to rest more easily when pinned onto my sweater. As for the needle, I used a lot of BooleanUnion to join several shapes together. For example, the tapered end was a cone that I had joined together with the Pipe I drew for the main component of the needle. Then I added a small cylinder and sphere to create 1/2 of my ball joint, allowing me to slip the clip joint easily onto the needle. For the other 1/2 of the ball joint on the hand, I cut out the inside of the sphere by using BooleanDifference to allow the ball joint to have a socket fit in. Lastly, for my clip joint, I had drawn the clip's shape with ExtrudeCrv to create the tubing shape and finished it off with PlanarSrf to make it solid.


Materials:

    I wanted to put a modern twist on the materials but still wanted to maintain the classic color of a yellow ginkgo leaf. I decided to go with gold for my leaf and clip charm to elevate my simple model. As for the needle stick, I went for a semi-glossy dark brown wood to complement and help tone down the flashiness of the gold material. I wanted to present in an indoor environment because the subtle warm lighting doesn't make the gold overly shiny.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment