Sunday, October 3, 2021

Sheena Meany: Week 4 Project 2 Serial Slicing

 Concept: 

for my initial concept, I knew I wanted to create some kind of animal or living creature for my project. I decided to combine the popular meme of a "bread cat", which is when cats will often tuck their paws under themselves, which makes them look like a loaf of bread, shown below. To keep things simple for my model, I kept it as just the head of a cat and the "body" of a bread loaf. 


Technique: 
 
To create my original model, I started out in Autodesk Maya 2019, since I am more experienced in that program. I used the Multi-cut tool, Symmetry, Smooth, Lattice, and the Merge to Center commands within Maya. 
    Multi-cut Tool: used to put in lines within my geometry in order to form certain shapes, specifically within the cat's face to create the eye crevice. 
    Symmetry: I first created the left half of the cat's face, then when I was done I used this tool to put it on the right side and connect the two halves. 
    Smooth: after modeling was done, I smoothed the model so that it would be easy to export for Rhino. 
    Lattice: I used to make tweaks to the overall model so I wouldn't have to select individual vertices. It essentially creates a box around the model that you can edit which will change your model. 
Merge to Center: When hollowing out the model, I had to extract a face to attach on afterward, and used this tool to attach it to the main model. 



Materials: 

In keyshot, I put in a book since this object is intended to use as two bookends to keep books in place. I gave it a leather texture, to add to the environment. For the face and body of the object, I assigned the appropriate colors. For the face, I assigned it a plastic shiny texture to show the shininess of the acrylic painting I will be using in post-processing. I wanted to choose lighting that would compliment the textures I chose for my model, so I chose environments with more lighting that are meant for showcases. I chose an interior background since that is where my object will be placed a majority of the time I assume.






For Post-Processing, after gluing the pieces together with Loctite I filled both "bread' pieces with concrete, in order for it to weigh something for books to lean on. After the concrete dried, I covered all the pieces with paper mache. I then attached fabric to the bread pieces and painted the "cut" sides of the bread with a lighter brown color. For the cat face, I painted it with acrylic paint and gave it details to finish the object. 

Post Processing Materials:
  • Cardboard
  • Concrete
  • Newspaper, Paper Mache Mixture (Water and Flour) 
  • Acrylic Paint 


















No comments:

Post a Comment