Monday, October 25, 2021

Cristian Resendiz Week 4 Waffle Construction Vessel

Concept: I wanted to create a plant pot that could hold multiple plants so I looked for any possible shapes that may allow that. After some research I settled upon a trophy shape because it makes the center prominent but keeps the sides interesting. So even if the side plants look bad, the center plant would focus the users attention. For the side pots I looked up other pots that would merge well with the original to make it feel more cohesive.



Technique: The whole model was made in rhino and it took a bit to get the shape just right. I started with a solid shapes like a cylinder. Then I moved the pieces into location to get a feel for how they would intersect and adjust as needed. Once done I started merging the shapes together by using booleanUnion to put them together. The internals were done by using booleanDifference and a duplicated shape that has been slightly modified to fit the middle. For the sides I would test various shapes and decide on one then mirror the object across. I created contours with the contour tool in both X and Z directions, however the Z contours wouldn't create shapes without chunks missing so I did a different method for my Z contours. I turned to the method that involved using pipes to create sections for the pieces. First I created a BoundingBox around the shape and made slices in it using the section tool from the top view. Once I had my both my X and Z curves done I turned them both into planes with planar curves. Then I created in-between curves with the planes with curve with object and intersection, this would create reference points for the cylinders. Next cylinders were put into the middle of the intersections to create the cuts for each directional plane. Once everything was set I used booleanDifference to make the cutouts, I extruded the curves to make a model, and layed them out using the unroll to prepare them for cutting.





Materials: For the Keyshot renders I choose a nice wooden texture that would give a modern look for homes. The organic material also helps enhance the perception of the plant since the wood would make the pot feel like it's part of the plant. I choose a bright looking indoor area since it would be the most realistic setting for a pot like this. The wood might burn in intense heat so having it close by the window would be perfect. In the final physical the edges are a bit burned but I think it still looked alright in the end. The material I used was MDF so it took a couple passes to cut through the material. But I think the two tone colors of the final piece brings out the contrast between the inside and the outside.







 

No comments:

Post a Comment