Sunday, October 31, 2021

Carly Kight: Week 8 MakerCase Lamp

Concept:

Because the MakerCase lamp has four sides, I wanted to make each side a part of a themed whole. I chose to have each face of the lamp represent one of Earth’s seasons (the weather has been transitioning lately, so it has been on my mind). I was also inspired by memories of learning about the seasons in school as a young child. In my research, I was able to find an image with all four seasons that embodied my memories well enough. I also found some good references for the flowers, leaves, and snowflake.


Techniques:

After I imported the outline of the MakerCase, I began to use the control point curve tool and the polyline tool to draw my designs on their appropriate layers. For the snowflake, I used the ArrayCrv command to make sure it was all symmetrical six ways. Then I extruded it all to the appropriate thickness. I used the hatch command to fill in all of the rastors as solid areas.


Materials:

I chose to make the body of each face a light wood material, and each vector line a dark brown. Inside the rastored areas, I chose to fill them with a darker color that matches with whatever face they are on (ex: leaves are orange, so the rastored area will be a dark orange/brown). This is because I will be staining the wood, so the darkness of the burn will show through. I will also be staining the insides of the vector lines/shapes similarly, and that is reflected in my renders as well. I chose to stain the wood because I want to maintain the natural aesthetic of the wood. This matches my naturalistic theme more closely than paint. Lastly, I plan to have colored/stained acetate showing through each inner cut. This will diffuse and color the light passing through each side from the light source.












 

No comments:

Post a Comment