Sunday, October 31, 2021

Tately Diep : Week 10 MakerCase Lamp

 

Concept: 

For my sketches, I was inspired by Japanese and Chinese-styled lanterns. I really liked the shadows projected from the design shown above so I wanted to incorporate similar shadowplay into my design. To make the design more personal, I added my family's name character "." Overall, I tried to make sure that there were enough cut-outs within my design to have plenty of airflow.


Techniques: 

I utilized a lot of Free-form curves for the more organic shapes within my design, tracing on top of my sketch directly. As for the other details, I relied heavily on the standard Line tool and the Trim tool came in handy for my more intricate cut-out shapes. As for the raster outline of the Chinese character, I used the Hatch tool to indicate where the material will be slightly burned. When making the 3D model to render in Keyshot, I used the ExtrudeCrv tool to make my outlined panels into solids that I joined together with the transformation tool. Also, because I wanted to add paper acetate onto the sides with the character, I created a thin polysurface by drawing a rectangle and PlanarSrf.

Materials: 

When assigning materials, I decided to go with a darker wood color as I plan to stain my MDF board with coffee or paint to hide the burn marks made from the laser cutter. I wanted to keep my concept fairly simple in order to achieve the minimalistic looks seen in my inspirations. As I mentioned before, I plan on adding sheets of paper acetate to my lamp to replicate the paper lantern style. In KeyShot, I assigned the planar surfaces with frosted glass to give the transparent effect. For the render, I added a small lightbulb-like shape inside and assigned an emissive warm light to simulate how the light would project the shadows of the designs.







No comments:

Post a Comment