Sunday, October 31, 2021

Akhil Mulukutla: Week 8 MakerCase Lamp

 Project 3 MakerCase Lamp

 

 

CONCEPT

For my lamp, I wanted something that looked very unique and minimalistic. The pattern was inspired by the countless variations I've seen on the internet with random flowing hexagonal holes along the sides of the box. I wanted this lamp to be more of a night light than an everyday lamp so I kept the hexagons small and created multiple of them to create more of a constellation type of effect. For the final version I've dropped the idea of adding a bee to instead add my last nickname around the edge of the box. It gives it more of a professional look with the wood as I want it to fit in with my personal lifestyle.

 


 

TECHNIQUE


I made the initial layout of the box on the MakerCase website and made it so that it had a top as well
as a bottom to keep a majority of the light in. After that, I brought it into Illustrator to create the hexagon
pattern. Then I brought the lamp layout with design into Rhino and created the box and then the inner cuts, raster, vector all layer by layer. I used a lot of Boolean Union and boolean Difference for outer and inner cuts. For the pattern I used a hexagon tool and ExtrudeCrv to speed up the process. I got my top view picture and finally assembled it for Keyshot. In Keyshot I applied a mahogany wood texture to the box and a darker shade for the engravings.





 

 









MATERIALS

I used a Mahogany texture in Keyshot for my finalized renders to give the lamp a very refined look. For the engravings I used Dark Walnut to keep the wood texture while also giving it that dark laser edge look. I used a marble kitchen counter for the product display picture but really this kind of lamp would on a night stand or a desk.











No comments:

Post a Comment