Sunday, October 10, 2021

Austen Sartain: Week 4 Project 2

 














Concept: I have watched anime for years, seeing masks like these pop up here and there in different series and I immediately fell in love with them. Many of the references I used were just the result of searching the phrase "3D printed oni mask" into google and looking through the images; however, one in particular comes from one of my favorite games, "Cyber Punk 2077." My design is essentially a mash up of all of my references plus a decent amount of my own creative direction.

Techniques: The way I started modeling my mask was by using the "rebuild a shape" function on a sphere to add more control points so that I could more intricately manipulate it. Then I took the sphere and sliced it into fourths, taking one of the fourths and molding it into one side of the mask. I did this by getting the side profile of my face from a photo and turning that into an object that I could stretch my shape into. This insured that the mask would have relatively the same topography as my face. Then I put my design that I drew up perpendicular to my side profile and stretched the shape to fit the design. This also allowed me to create curves from the outline of the designs on my picture which I could use to project these curves onto my shape. After that I used the projected curves to cut out pieces from a duplicate of my shape so I could offset them to raise them off of the mask. The way I made the screw threads was by using the spiral command. After that you simply "rail revolve" a small triangle along the spiral curve and there you have it. After that you just make a duplicate that you use to Boolean difference a small cylinder. That gives you the female set of threads. The main difficulty of this project was actually having to Boolean union everything at the end. Because my shapes were so organic, there was a lot for the computer to calculate, which it did not like. So after making this project, I learned that the best way to go about Boolean union for really organic shapes is to make the shape, analyze it, find the simplest way to make the shape you just did, and create. The reason for this is that there are many different ways to make the same complex shape, but if you use the simplest way to making, (all the while retaining its detail), it removes a whole lot of the workload the computer has when trying to Boolean union.

Materials: The process for Keyshot was extremely simple. This is because it already looked exactly like I wanted it too when it was uploaded into the program. It is meant to look like plastic. When it came to post processing, it wasn't very difficult, mainly just very tedious. Everything but the mask was printed using an SLA printer. This printer was extremely high in quality as the size of each layer was roughly the size of a pixel on a computer screen. This made the pieces not only really solid, but also extremely smooth compared to the mask which was printed using extrusion. The mask was printed with an FDM printer. This printer was also pretty high quality because it had two nozzles, one for the filament, and one for a water-soluble support structure. Because it was made with extrusions, it was less accurate and had a few minor mistakes here and there, and the surface was noticeably layered. In the future I'd love to update my design and get it entirely printed via and SLA printer for maximum quality. As far as post Processing went, it mainly consisted of sanding down the breakoff points from the SLA support structures, as well as sanding off some of the mistakes and remaining support structures from the main mask, and painting. I originally wanted to do some type of resin or epoxy pain so that I could smooth out the texture of my mask, but I didn't have enough time. Because of this, I opted to spray paint it instead. The base colors were easy to apply, but it did become a bit difficult masking out all the pieces that were going to be a different color on the main mask. All in all it turned out alright in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment