Sunday, October 24, 2021

Hunter Smitherman: Week 7 Waffle Construction



Concept:

    When creating my concept for this project, I first wanted to develop my concept around creating a wax warming vessel. Since it is October, I wanted to create a wax warming pumpkin. However, this design concept needed more iterations to complete my full concept. I thought about the concept more and wanted to play with some shapes to create a unique design. Instead of a pumpkin, I took the basic shape of a gourd and wanted to create a squared vessel for my wax-warming waffle construction. I made the corners of the vessel come to a point and the sides have a significant curve. Since my design needed a light, I created a cylindrical well inside the 3D model with a section to hold the light and the wax-warming dish. I also constructed a lid to cover the warmer when it's not in use.





Technique:

    To create my 3D model, I started with designing the well for the inside space. I measured the dimensions of the wax-warming dish and created two polylines using the Polyline Tool. I revolved these two polylines to create a solid that I could subtract from my created waffle model later. I next started on the outer parts of the waffle construction, I used the Control Point Curve Tool to create the gourd shape with a rounded base and top. I then extruded the curve in 1-dimension using the Gumball Scaling Tool to create a curved plane. I copied this curved plane to create a four-sided object and trimmed the excess planar surface with the Trim Tool. I next needed to fill the two holes in on the top and bottom of the object, I used the Cap Planar Holes Tool to create a fully solid object. I then used the well I created earlier to subtract from the solid I had created. I used the Boolean Difference Command to create the well within the solid object. I also wanted the create a lid, I first created a curve that matched the outside of my object and met at a point. I extruded this curve and copied it to create multiple sides to the lid. I also used the Trim Tool to get rid of any unwanted planar surfaces. I used the inverse of the well to create a lip so the lid would fit into the base of the waffle construction. 

    When creating the slices for my object I first needed to cut radial slices, I created a bounding box using the Bounding Box Command and started cutting with the Section Command. I also needed horizontal slices, so I used the Contour Command to create horizontal cuts within my object. Next, I created planar surfaces using the Planar Surface Command and created intersection lines where the various planes intersected using the Intersect Command. I did not use the script provided to cut the various intersection points, I felt creating the intersection manually would give me a better final product. I created a cylinder at the midpoint of the intersection lines and duplicated it for the opposite side making sure to keep my radial ribs cut on the inside. I duplicated these cylinders up to the top of each individual radial rib. I split the cylinders from the ribs to create the indentations for each slice to fit. I used the massive unroll script to quickly layout my laser cutting layout and color-coded each curve to the correct color. I also extruded each one of my curves to create a sliced 3D model for rendering.

    When rendering I imported my file into Keyshot and began choosing a material, background, and lighting. I also create 2D-Drawings in rhino to create a side and top view of my design next to my rendered 3D model.





Materials:

    To choose the material I wanted for my final design and renderings, I knew that there would be no encouraged post-processing required. I added a light wood material to match similarly to the wood that I purchased for laser cutting. I altered some of the wood material settings to add a rougher texture to the model. I used a gray and black background as well as a table background to provide realistic images. I used a lighting background to provide realistic daytime lighting for all of my individual renderings.

















No comments:

Post a Comment