Sunday, October 24, 2021

Clay Purdy: Week 7 Waffle Construction

 



Concept: I wanted to make something with a practical use. I took inspiration from old, ornate iron structures, specifically an antique school desk I have in my house. My original idea was to make a stand for my laptop, but decided to go with something requiring less specific measurements. So instead, I turned one of my sketches into a wall sconce with a big lightbulb.   




Techniques: I started building my model by revolving a curve to make the part that holds the bulb. I built the different parts of the model separately by drawing their shapes with curves on a plane then extruding them, creating square objects. To give the pieces their narrow shapes, I brought in a box, angled it then mirrored it, then used boolean difference to cut away the corners. To make the separate sections one piece I used boolean union. To create the waffle structure I followed Professor Scott's Waffles With Pipes tutorials on Youtube.  





Materials: I used a rough black plastic material for the model to resemble cast iron. I applied a warm light texture to a cylinder then placed it into a lightbulb I modeled in Rhino. I applied a clear glass texture to the bulb and changed the color to amber. I wanted it to look like it was in an old mansion so, for the environment I made a wall with a molding frame in Rhino then applied a dark wood planks texture. To create an old mansion atmosphere. I brought the environmental lighting down a lot, but not so much that you couldn't see the model anymore. 
For the physical model, I was planning on covering it with a coat of textured spray paint, then applying a coat of black metallic paint on top of that. 






No comments:

Post a Comment