Sunday, October 24, 2021

Paris Lopez: Project 3 Shooting Star Waffle Construction Vessel






For the waffle vessel I wanted a dynamic concept that went with inner lighting, so I came up with a shooting star. I wanted the trail of the star to be part of the design so it’d would look like it was shooting up, almost like a rocket instead. I thought the changing sizes of the wedges would give an interesting look. I also was torn on whether to use a real candle or a lamp and ended up with the led candle 






   For modeling the star I made the solid model by lofting three curve star shapes and using boolean to trim the inside. I ordered the led candle and used the dimensions from the site for the model. After the model was done I tried cutting the model with the cut my ribs script but it wouldn’t work, so went with the pipe method. When doing the pipe I believe I made the diameter twice as big because I probably thought it was the radius. This ended up being pretty fatal to the project once cut. When trimming the model using the trim method I ended up having to do it individually for half the spots. I made a candle with cylinder solids and a cone I made that modified it’s points. In Keyshot used a standard wood material where I reduced the bump strength and added a point light for the candle.  



For cutting, the laser cutter didn’t quite cut through a lot of the MDF pieces and as I was pushing them out many broke in parts. Also as mentioned earlier this was the moment where I realized the notches were double the size they needed to be, so the whole actual project seemed to be a bust. I made the best of it however by glueing  the vessel together and spray painting it after seeing how messy it looked all glued together.





No comments:

Post a Comment