Monday, October 25, 2021

Gail Givens: Week 7 Waffle Construction Vessel

Concept: I wanted to create a lamp that resembled the type of beehives you see in cartoons as opposed to one in real life either created by bees or the humans that care for them. I thought this would lend more to it being cute and playful. As such, I searched for a simple image of a cartoon beehive to inspire my design.

Techniques: To create the rings of the beehive I used the torus solid tool, then copied the initial piece and made each ring smaller and smaller until I reached the desired look. I then grouped them to make them easier to move and manipulate as a whole. To create the bees, I used the sphere solid tool, then manipulated them by editing the x and y axis on them. I did the same for the wings, making them much flatter than the body. I ran into some issues with the Cut Your Ribs script not cutting all the notches I needed, and so used the mirror tool in order to create those notches.


Materials: Unfortunately, I ran out of time to execute both the Keyshot model as well as the finished sculpture. Below is a picture of what I have finished. I chose sandlewood planks for the beehive itself and an acrylic sheet for the bees. I found difficulty using loctite as the glue for the wood pieces, as it didn't turn out strong enough for the smaller pieces, and so changed to wood/crafting glue and that worked much better. If I had finished the sculpture, I then would have woven the fairy lights I purchased around and inside it and attached the acrylic bees to the lights to show through them. 
 





No comments:

Post a Comment