Sunday, October 10, 2021

Paige Kelley: Week 4 3D Printed Adornment


Concept - For my adornment I wanted to create a "armor" ring that bends with your finger. I wanted to create one with a pointed end that came out to the nail and had some details to make it unique. I currently have a full finger ring that bends as I move that I took inspiration from in the idea of using three separate parts that joined together to bend with your finger but still create one cohesive piece. I wanted to the ring pretty simplistic (within my designing abilities on Rhino) but still add some details that made it unique. After researching designs of rings I saw lots of cutouts and pieces added onto the top of the ring to give it more of a 3D impact so I decided to implement those ideas into my design.

Technique -  When designing my ring in rhino I began with the bases of each ring, one by one. I first started with a cylinder that I used arc's along to create the curves before combining the individual lines and expanding them into a shape before boolean differencing the two objects to create the main shape of the ring. After that, I creates another cylinder, a little smaller than the first, and centered the two before doing a boolean difference to hollow out the shape of the ring. After doing this three times to create the bases of the ring, I added a pyramid to the end of the first base to create the pointed end I wanted, then did a boolean difference with the same cylinder as before to hollow it out and create the correct shape. After the bases were all created, I offset the center one a little lower than the other two so that the ring would be able to move easily. Then I created the actual rings by creating an arc and using the pipe command along it and lining them to the bases. After that I added cones to each piece of the ring, long enough to stretch through the other pieces to hold them together, but still be able to move, and boolean differenced the outer pieces to create a hole for them to go through- I did the same technique to connect the rings to the bases. With all of the casework done, I used the chamfer command to create a softer edge to the rings so they wouldn’t be as blunt, as well as piping along the edges of the bases of the ring. Next I created cones on top of the first and third base with a T-line for them to slide onto, I used boolean difference to create the cutout of the line into the cones. Finally, for my last bit of detail, I created cutouts in the middle pieces by using the boolean difference command with cylinders to create symmetrical cuts.

Materials - For my Keyshot images I originally used black metal for the end two pieces and white in the middle, but changed it to all black, and used purple gemstones for the spikes and a holographic purple metal for the piping and rings to create more dimension. I selected a shiny black metal for the base pieces to resemble what the final printed object would look like, although the printed ring came out more matte which I like, and the gemstones I chose to create some sense of depth to the piece; since you can see through the purple gems I chose to detail the ring with I think it helps add some personality as well as the purple metal I chose for the rings and piping. While I think it looks pretty in Keyshot, I actually really liked how the matte black material looked on the final printed piece and decided not to paint it.

No comments:

Post a Comment