Sunday, October 24, 2021

Aidan Jones: Week 7 Project 3 Waffle Construction Vessel

 


For the Waffle Vessel/Project 3 I had become interested and captivated by designs such as twisters, tornados, drills, capsules, etc. I was inspired by the illusion and purpose that a capsule serves which also happens to be similar to a vessel itself. However, like a tornado, I wanted to create someone that was not entirely symmetrical. This was mostly because I wanted something that struck more visual interest and served more of a challenge than creating a default cone. Both of these hurdles that I would overcome in the next phase of production.



For the modeling phase, I became relieved that I chose this type of design since I was not as familiar with Rhino as I was with Maya. I started with a cone as the foundation and built upon it making it as similar to my concept design as possible by scaling from various axes. I placed another cone inside and used the Boolean Difference tool to create the off-center and drilled-like hole starting at the top and becoming smaller towards the base. Afterward, I cut off the bottom point with another Boolean difference and used a plane to serve as the cut-off point. How I was able to get the asymmetry/twist towards the bottom half was using the Bend and Twist tool. Using these tools was a bit of trial and error, but I was able to find a design that fit my original vision. For the notched and extruded variant, I had first used the contour function using both directions on the original model going from the X-axis to the Y-axis. After I laid my vectors out on my 24x48in reference sheet I turned them into planar surfaces and used extrude surface to .25 inch thickness for all slices. After this entire process, I would build a lightbulb fixture that was going to be used in my Keyshot renderings. 


Moving onto Keyshot went a bit more smoothly this time around. For the light fixture, I put on a rough plastic material since the main objective was to make it emit some sort of light similar to a light bulb. I made sure to make the intensity fit with the material I used for the lamp itself. Since Keyshot does not have a "Wood" material as one of its presets, I decided to use a plastic preset and greatly increase the roughness and decrease the specular value to give off the impression of a wood surface. The material that aided me the greatest however was a wood bump mapping that I had used to give it the wood-like markings throughout its geometry. This and the reflectivity is shown off in the two close-up images I have provided. The lighting was something soft enough to show off the diffusion and emission of the light fixture, but impactful enough to provide shadows and depth to the lamp and its base. The environment and background itself were a perfect fit since lamps are mostly found to be on desks or nightstands anyway. For the physical sculpture, I was not able to provide one since after I had turned in my materials on early Wednesday, the laser bed was broken for me and all other students who had sent their material around this time frame.  If I had received it I would have not used any surface applications as the prompt states, and I would have glued pieces together using Loctite. After that, I would make sure the light bulb receives the proper support and is tested for functionality.








UPDATE:

After being notified of needing to change my notches in time for the physical sculpture I have done so. I made sure all notches are on the outer edges and that the side piece notches are perpendicular to them. One challenge with the physical sculpture is that the wood was slightly warped so I had to force some of the pieces on.  I have also added images 10-12 on this blog post as well as put updated images of my renderings and laser cut vectors down below.















No comments:

Post a Comment