Sunday, October 10, 2021

Week 4 Project 2 - Sarah Cepeda

 

I got my inspiration from Harvest Moon games where you can fish up fish bones. They're pretty much useless in the games, but I've always wanted more widespread purposes for them. 



I designed the piece to be one complete unit, one that didn't disassemble, but gave the illusion that it might since the piece needed to be as small as possible while remaining sturdy enough to withstand regular wearing. For the head, I made an ellipsoid, tapered the top and bottom to my liking and then cut out the heart shape of the head. Unfortunately, due to irregular sizing, this made it impossible to chamfer or fillet, but it achieved a more fish-head like shape so I kept it. I repeated this same process for the tail. For the main body, I simply made cylinders and cut smaller cylinders out from the center to reduce weight and allow for free movement of the skeleton. I made spherical anchors that fit into each bone chunk and had just enough space to allow some free posing. Since I couldn't fillet the head and tail, I decided to to fillet the ribs either to keep with the style. Unfortunately, thinking back now, I forgot to mimic the same ellipsoid cutout effect to get a rounder shape out of them. 
For post-processing, I made a lot of errors admittedly. I chose to spray paint a matte white color onto the piece since there was some confusion and miscommunication with the print shop and they used resin to print my piece. This resulted in it being a yellowed color as well as translucent which was very different from the effect I was trying to get. Rather than spending another $60 to reprint, I decided $5 of spray paint would probably be enough. Unfortunately, when I chose to paint it, it was extremely humid outside which resulted in the grainy texture seen in the images. Additionally, the paint stayed tacky for far too long and made the whole process a huge pain. 

No comments:

Post a Comment