Sunday, October 3, 2021

Clay Purdy: Week 4 Serial Sliced Sculture

 



Concept: Wild Boar or "Hogs" have a very unique geometry to them, with massive shoulders and a long thin snout. I wanted to use that geometry for my sculpture but exaggerate it even more. For inspiration I looked to nature, folk art, and my own past work to see how artists have adapted this unique hog geometry. 



Techniques: I made the initial sculpt in Mudbox then brought it into Rhino. Once in Rhino I added the pyramids to the back I made sure they intersected with the model, then used BooleanJoin to join them together. I also used BooleanDifference with a large box intersecting with the feet of the model to flatten the feet out. I used the Contour command to slice the sculpture up vertically, with 1/4th of an inch between each slice. After laying out all the slices out on the same plane with numbers and holes, I used the ExtrudeCrv command on the contour slices. Which didn't really work. Some of the contour slices were not planar, they had microscopic imperfections in them, making them not flat so they couldn't be extruded. I used the Project command to project the image of the broken curves onto a flat plane, making them planar. Once all the curves were fixed I extruded them to be 1/4th of an inch thick.





Materials: In Keyshot, I applied a Green Metallic Paint material to the model. I edited the material, applying a contour texture, then changing the edge colors to goldish, as well as applying some scratch textures. I placed a very large plane under the sculpture and applied the Ground material so the piece could cast a good shadow. I placed a small sphere in the scene and applied a soft light material to use as a directional light. For the environment I used the interior lighting technique and for the background I used an inside table, since the piece is made to be displayed inside. 
On the physical sculpture, I applied a coat of acrylic black gesso paint as a base coat, then mixed a green paint to go on top of that. To finish, I aded specular highlights using metallic gold paint using a dry brush technique 











No comments:

Post a Comment