Sunday, October 24, 2021

Xochitl Juarez: Week 7: Project 3 Waffle Construction Vessel

 Concept

    For my concept, I wanted to create an object that would be easily distinguishable when cut into waffle slices. I first looked at wind chimes as they can be summed up as slices with hanging objects. As I needed a vessel, I used a UFO shape to act as a lamp. In order to keep the wind chime concept, I added a lower base that would be able to hold the dangling pieces of material. The inclusion of the hanging pieces would also add to the general idea of the UFO as I would paint on images, in this case, cows, that would be 'abducted' by the ship.


Technique

    To create the form of the ship, I first created a sphere from the default rhino primitives. Next, I created an ellipsoid for the wider, bottom half of the ship. To combine the two solids, I used the union command. Once they were combined, I duplicated the new solid and scaled it down. With the smaller shape, I used the subtract command to cut out the lamp's inner portion. With the lamp's main shape complete, I began to work on the lower base. I first created a cylinder primitive, making a hole in it by using the subtract command and a second, smaller cylinder. Next, I used the line and circle commands to create curves that would make the shape of a hook. Once the hook shape was made, I used Solid -> Extrude Planar Curve -> Straight to make a 3D hook. The hook was then duplicated and rotated with the base selected until evenly distributed. Four hooks were placed on the top while 5 hooks were placed on the bottom. An additional 4 hooks were added to the bottom of the ship for hanging. Next, I created 5 boxes that were rectangular to be the hanging pieces. They were aligned with the lowest hooks. To create the strings, I first made line segments that connected as rectangles that extended to and from each respective hook to hook pair and hook to object pair. Afterwards, the lines were extruded (as Solid -> Extrude Planar Curve -> Straight).

    For the ribs, I used the Cut My Ribs rhino script on the main spaceship. The bottom base was cut into two halves using the Contour tool. The smaller rectangles were made with the thickness of the material (0.25 inches) in mind for the thickness. Adjustments and additional holes and engravings were made to the created curves as needed as the script did not cut all of the pieces accurately and holes were needed for the bottom, hanging pieces. The hook holes were only engraved. The ribs were also extruded separately when rendering in keyshot.




Materials

For the keyshot renderings, I set all of the main body materials to a maple wood texture. For the UFO body and bottom ring, I placed grey labels set to paint alongside a wood bump. For the hanging pieces, I created two label types, one of which had each respective cow and the other had the blank, starry background. The labels were also set to paint with wood bumps. The hooks were set to a default brushed metal material. The string was set with a transparent plastic material. The bulb base was set to a black, semi-reflective metal material. The bulb was set to a transparent glass material. The top hanging cable was set to a matte, black plastic material. The only thing missing from the keyshot renders is the glow in the dark paint as I was unable to achieve a satisfactory replication of the effect.




    For post processing, I first sanded all of the wooden pieces. Next, I glued together the bottom hanging base. Once glued, the hooks were added to each of the bases. Once the hooks were added, the base and other slices of the ship were painted with "elephant grey" Apple Barrel paint. The edges of each were painted with Folk Art ''gunmetal gray." The smaller rectangle pieces were first painted with Apple Barrel ''admiral blue" paint. Once that layer was complete, I painted on the cows with black and white acrylic paint and posca pens. Next, I used a toothbrush to apply white splatters on the bottom hanging pieces. The spaceship pieces had the same method applied to them, but the paint used was instead a white, neutral blue, and sky blue Art N' Glow glow in the dark paint. Once all painting applications were done, I put all of the main spaceship pieces together and glued them with Loctite to ensure that they would not move or fall out. Once constructed, I sealed the paint with a spar urethane finish. After sealing, I used OmniFlex fishing lines to make to tie the piece together. Once the lamp was complete, I placed secured the light bulb cable and added the light bulb within.



No comments:

Post a Comment