Sunday, October 10, 2021

Kristy Yin: Week 4 Project 2

 






Concept: When it comes to adornment hair clips were the first to come to mind. They are something that I wear often and I have a lot of different kinds of hair clips. My favorite type of hair clips in terms of style are ones with minimalist designs. Taking that for inspiration, I knew that I wanted my design to be simple, cute, and elegant so that it can be something that adds fun to everyday fashion. I gravitated towards moon-shaped clips but made the design a little more unique by adding zig-zagged joints in the middle for functional support as well as a place to connect on a star-shaped adding to the astrology aesthetic.





Techniques: With the command 'PictureFrame' I was able to use my drawing as a reference, from there I created the basic outline using 'Free-from curves' for half the shape of the moon piece, and used the 'Mirror' function to make sure it was symmetrical. To make the moon a smooth and rounded piece I made the curves into pipes with the 'Pipe' command, which gave me a surface with a circular profile. I had to 'Trim' some parts of the inner pipes so that it would all 'BooleanUnion' together  For the star connecting pieces, I simply created star-shaped polygons with different numbers of points/ sides and made them to a 3D form with 'ExtrudeCrv'. Then for the "hook", I made it from a cylinder then 'Boolean-Differenced' it with a smaller cylinder the size of the moon's pipe diameter as well as a triangular shape to get the cut into the hole. Made copies of the "hook" to boolean union with all the stars. For the band of the clip, I used pipe once more to get a rounded surface. The joints on the moon were created by combining multiple cylinders and spheres. Taking the same sized vertical cylinder on the joint I boolean-differenced it to the hinge end on the clip to make sure the pieces were the same shape to be able to fit together. Finally, I made sure all the pieces would fit together in terms of size and tried my best to account for tolerances.   







Materials: I knew I wanted the stars to be yellow with gold sparkles and decided to go with purple for the moon as complementary colors. For the joints and the clip parts, I made them glossy black so they would blend in better with my black hair. In KeyShot the gloss black paint was easy to find but I didn't want the moon to be just plain purple paint. On the material library cloud, I was able to find "Flipped Purple Paint" which was a shiny purple and I was also able to find a gold glitter yellow for the stars. For the 3D printing material, I chose 3D systems VisiJet Crystal, a translucent material good for me to paint on, and also it has high durability and stability that is good for such a delicate piece like my hair clip. For post-processing, I used the respective colored acrylic paints for each part, added gold glitter to the stars, and Iridescent glitter glue on the moon piece to give it a nice shine. Finally, I used an acrylic sealer with a gloss finish to set everything in place. 

No comments:

Post a Comment