Sunday, October 31, 2021

Austen Sartain: Project 3 MakerCase Lamp

 

















This project was far easier than Project 2. I think this was a result of how little 3D sculpting and building you actually have to do. It's more the equivalent of digitally cutting out designs on cardboard. For most of the project, I used the polyLine to create the different shapes. Once I used SrfPlanar to create a surface from the lamp outlines, I just too my designs i made with the polyLine and then used trim to remove pieces of the surface I made. After I finished cutting the design into the surface, all I had to do was extrude the surface to make it 3D, join the pieces, then fit each side together. Nothing super advanced.During the process of laser cutting, I ended up finding out that for both the inner and outer cuts, it is best to do at least 3 passes. The reason being is because the wood ends up being perferated instead of cleanly cut. This causes a lot of blowout when you push out the pieces, resulting in a bunch of damage. The last bit of work I did was just to make the lamp nice and presentable. I sanded the surface with 220 grit, stained it, and superglued the paper in.

No comments:

Post a Comment