Sunday, October 10, 2021

Brendan Young: Week 4 Project 2

Concept: My first idea for this project was to make a sort of spinner ring that had other moving parts as well. Ive always thought that the way they're connected is a really cool concept and that this type of interlocking mechanism would transfer well to my project. However thorughout the course of this project my ideas had shifted slightly. First I realized a ring would probably be far too small, especially when it came time to present, so I ended up turning it into what is called a bangle bracelet, or in simple terms a bracelet made to slide on and off the hand as a ring would the finger. As for the further inspiration, there were several types of rings that caught my attention. I ended up deciding on a design that took influence on geometry and sort of archaic architecture. Lastly, the spinner on the outside is meant to reference a gemstone on something like and engagement ring or ring of high value. Techniques: For the actual shape of the ring I used two cylinders and boolean differnce. From there in order to have many of the parts just perfectly the right shape for eachother, I would clone the object and use that as my boolean difference to have a perfect outline of what it would be touching. In order for this to entirely work I would need to slighlty scale the object higher after performing the boolean. For the design of my ring I formed an array of rectangular prisms in a pattern arround the ring and then subtracted those just off the surface. Lastly many of my edges were made less harsh with chamfers and fillet edges. Materials For my materials I wanted to keep it as simple as possible so that I could paint over it myself with a metallic paint. The largest challenge to come out of this has been that I wanted the ring and main spinner to be two seperate colors, but the way these are connected, the spinner is never meant to come off. In post processing I need to hand paint the spinner so that it has its own distinct color from the main ring body. And my largest problem was not realizing how much prior time I needed to plan out my print, as I have never done anything even remotely similar. All in all however, I am satisfied with the way this project has come out, and I can't wait for you all to see the finished product in person.

No comments:

Post a Comment