Sunday, October 10, 2021

Santiago Perez-Isaza: Week 4 Project 2







 




















 


 

Concept 

            The original concept for this project was jewelry that formed around the hand's structure. I think a representation of the human anatomy isn't used enough in fashion so this was a way for me to experiment with that idea. Of course I went head first and had a concept where the bone structure would be modeled and form the hand but the amount of piecing together and designing interlocking parts would be enormous. I settled on this faceted look with just a middle ring connecting to the bracelet. I looked at a few ring makers but the one that really inspired me was GONE ARCHIVE's collection. 

           Techniques

            The techniques I used was a lot of building with curves. First getting real world measurements of my hand and finger and using those measurements in Rhino to model my structure. The ball and socket joint took a bit of time to model because I needed a good amount of give as the ball moved around in the socket. My biggest worry for the project was getting the ball into the socket after printing. The bracelet needed a was to put on that was simple and effective, I used a latch that I modeled after one found on a suitcase, but after reviewing other options I could have easily done a style latch found on watches. The bracelet opens via two hinges on both sides, although I thought those would be the hardest to model, it went smoothly with Rhino. In the end, the project had been formed with many of the parts as close to the tolerance limit as possible to keep the thinness and size profile I envisioned from the start.

Materials 

             I knew what I wanted out of the project was a sleek and metallic look to give it the illusion of real metal. I used a brushed titanium material within Keyshot and used a large studio softbox preset to give it that glow. The final image with the wearing example is a free hand picture I found off of Unsplash and the whole composition was done within Keyshot. For post processing after the print, I bought silver paint and glitter spray paint to add the extra texture and shine that I wanted.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment