Sunday, October 3, 2021

Andrew Bitar: Project 2 Serial Sliced Sculpture of Original Design

Concept:

With this project, I went with an Ancient Egypt theme as a limitation for ideas. I ended up 

with the Egyptian Sphynx cat as my subject of interest due to my personal liking of cats. 

I wanted to set my cat apart from the rest, so I attempted to give it features not normally 

associated with cats. The mouth almost looks like it has lips and the overall design is more 

angular than usual for a cat.

 

Techniques:

The cat was modeled in Rhino 6. I started by adding a picture of my drawing so I can trace it to 

create my model. I put two pictures, a side image for the side view and a front image for the front 

view. I then created a sphere and used the rebuild tool to start modeling the sphere how I wanted. 

Once the head was done, I then created a cylinder for the neck and used the exact same method 

to manipulate the model. The manipulation was done with the gumball and the creation of  

control point objects. The ears were created through the control point curve tool, cap, and  

boolean difference. With the control point curve, I traced over the ears, then I capped in from 

the button and extruded. I duplicated the ear, shrank it, and did a boolean difference to created the 

concave of the ear. The last thing I did was mirroring the ear to the other side.


Materials:

In Keyshot, I rendered the model how it would look in real life. I used the Ashwood texture for 

both the material and texture. I did mess a little with the bump and specular maps, but the outcome 

wasn’t any different from the default. I used a desk as the environment for my sculpture as it would 

be the environment for the real thing.

 

Final Product:




No comments:

Post a Comment