Sunday, October 3, 2021

Hope Sherman - Week 4 Project 2 Serial Slicing

 Concept

    My original concept was that of a Dwarven-style hammer, then to a treasure chest hammer, then to a smaller chest inspired by the Dungeons and Dragons' creature, Mimic. Needless to say, I went through a lot of challenges and ideas before settling upon a chest/bag that was styled to look like a Mimic. However, all of these versions had a similar base. I wanted to be able to physically carry this item with me to a Renaissance Festival in 2 weeks, but I feel due to the changes I had to make during the process, he'll remain a simple dice holder and shelf decoration. 



Techniques

    I took the orthographic drawings I did and put them into Rhino using the "picture" command ("Picture Frame" when using older versions of Rhino). I then modeled the piece using that as a reference and was able to hollow out the entire model using the "Shell" command. I split the overall piece into 6 pieces, 2 end caps and a center piece on both the top and bottom of the chest, so it would be easier to assemble later. I then used the "contour" command to split the entire thing vertically. 
    I modeled the teeth, ribbon tongue, and hinges that would be made outside of Rhino for the rendered images. 





Materials

Keyshot - Black Wood, Red Paint, White Shine Paint, Paint Metallic Bronze, Paint Metallic Silver. 


Postprocess - 

For the actual assembly of the full Mimic, I used both Gorilla glue and E6000 to put the slivers together. I used red vinyl and textured wood sheets to cover the paper mached sections. I also used red paint with gloss varnish and silver spray paint to decorate the end caps. I added a locking mechanism in the front as an after thought, since it came with the hinges that I bought. I also decided last minute to include a base inside the chest to set things on. The teeth I used were made out of foam clay and were attached as the last step. 



    I like to think this Mimic is a baby and is still deciding how he should look. 


He waits for an unsuspecting adventurer. 



No comments:

Post a Comment