Sunday, October 3, 2021

Paige Brown: Week 4 Serial Sliced Sculpture of Original Design

Concept:
I went through two different concepts, the first being a spork, but eventally settled on a fantasy penguin design. It is partially a penguin inspired design along with the neck of a goose and the tail and beak of a toy rubber duck.
I designed it to be on the somewhat smaller side to reduce cutting costs and material needed. I designed it to be simple because it would lose a lot of detail serial sliced because it is small.



Creation:
I was running short on time so I attempted to create the bulk of model in Maya. Admittedly I'm not very skilled in that program either so I did what I could in hopes I could make the finished product look better than the model itself. I largely created a sphere and extruded from the geometry created. However I did create the legs in Rhino with a control point curve and used the revolve command to create geometry around an axis.

Some assembly images:

Materials:
.25 cardboard sheet, Loctite, newspaper, Mod Podge, and spraypaint

I wanted the surface smooth since I didn't think the paint would show up well on corrugated cardboard. So I covered the surface with paper mache much like a pinata. The legs were fairly flimsy so dowel rods were inserted roughly halfway through the body from the feet giving it weight and stability.

I chose matte black spraypaint and semi gloss white spraypaint for the body and painted the eyes with enamel craft paints.





No comments:

Post a Comment