Sunday, October 3, 2021

Timothy Gray: Week 4 Project 2 Serial Slicing

 Concept

    Reference images that were created during this stage included the original image used as inspiration, and early drawings of the object. The left side of the image below contains the non-serial sliced sides. The right side contains the sliced layers arranged in a horizontal orientation. This is an orthographic which includes the top, side, front, and perspective views for the sculpture.

Concept Design

Inspiration: Delicate Arch, Arches National Park, Utah
("Delicate arch, Utah" by Wallboat is marked with CC0 1.0)


Techniques

    While creating the 3D model in Rhino I used several commands to create the arched tripod. First, I created the basic curves of the object in Adobe Illustrator. I did this by tracing over a scanned copy of my drawings. The curves were then imported into Rhino. One of the first commands I used was the Torus. This allowed me to create the shape of the arches, which are basically hemispherical tubes cut down, using the split command. After forming the basic shapes, I used PointsOn to manipulate the base of the structure. This helped in making sure the arches would be able to stand on their own. After the model was finished, I used the contour command to divide the model into its individual slices. Finally, I used the extrude command to form the depths of the layers which would represent the thickness of the cardboard pieces.

3D Model

3D Model (With Serial Slicing)

Vector Layout


Materials

    After modeling, the model was imported into Keyshot for rendering. The color was changed to a dark brown using the Colors menu. I chose this color to match one of the available paints I wanted to use. All lighting and environments remain in their default settings.

Front View

Side View

Top View

    The material used for this project was a 4ft x 2ft x 1/4in cardboard sheet. After laser cutting, the arched tripod was assembled using 1/4" wooden dowels and Loctite Professional Liquid Super Glue. Registration marks had been previously made during the 3D modeling process. The sculpture was then painted using brown spray paint (I had to re-spray in order to cover as many angles as possible) and afterwards added a glossy clear coat finish.

Front View

Side View

Top View

Environment

No comments:

Post a Comment