Monday, October 6, 2014

Bill Watts: Project 1: Head Bot



Influences: In developing my concept of the head bot, I returned to one of my favorite artists, Kris Kuksi, to draw inspiration. He creates mixed media assemblages that communicate an intense drama no matter how one looks at the piece. Tangible, impossible situations ebb and flow across the composition while a million different interpretations of the piece's meaning flow through the viewer. I wanted to tap into a fraction of this impossibility and drama, and created the Head Bot as a result. As technology has seeped into our lives, modern individuals have pulled away from interacting with their environment and neighbors. The head bot serves as a representation of this modern approach to the outside world.
http://kuksi.com/



Modeling: I created this model entirely in Maya, first focusing on the modeling and edge flow of the head portion. After learning I was able to mash model, I added the legs to finish out the piece. When rendering, I brought this model directly from Maya to KeyShot by assigning materials to the different portions of the geometry similar to the assigning of layers in Rhino. Being able to just use Rhino to check my edges and not to break up geometry made my workflow much more pleasant.
 
I opted to print my Head Bot small in order to make it more affordable. If this initial print is successful, I'll be printing more of them at perhaps a larger scale.




No comments:

Post a Comment