Saturday, October 25, 2014

Chris Venable: Slots

My module designs for this project were heavily influenced by traditional native textiles. Below is an example from the Arizona State Museum website created by Marian Nez, a Navajo artist that still utilizes traditional processes to create her designs.

Teec Nos Pos rug

Often when viewing these types of patterns the audience will begin to discover representations of animals or people that were not originally intended by the artist. I feel that this translates well into a project like Slots where we are working with abstract shapes in an attempt to create more representational art.

Below are the modules that I created. I did not work off of a specific "Root" module, but instead I constrained myself with a heavy diagonal/geometric style. I also added a couple of extra pieces to help fill in the margins of my sheet.


My material for this project will be .16"  plywood.

Edit - 12/15
Pictures.


1 comment: