Monday, October 6, 2014

Sara DeShong-Baker Project 3: Serial Slices

EXTRUDE CURVE / SLICES LAYOUT:
(week 6)
I made a new piece for this project using a bigger design, but it's a size that I think will look good hanging from a wall or ceiling. There are a few free floating pieces, but they are minimal and have been engraved on the layers below them. I had to create eleven (11) layout sheets due to its shape and size. The center three cores could have held most of it together, but I wanted to give it more support and added two additional cores at the top. Plus, I can extend these top two rods past the backside of the piece to create a place to attach a chain, or something else with which to hang it.

I'm excited to see how this comes together and have some ideas in mind for painting the layers and hardware. I may also decide to rescale it in order to save on the amount of sheets that will currently need to be used.


RENDERS:
(week 7)
For the first render, I thought the piece would look best in its current size as a frosted glass chandelier. I would place it outdoors and have a light source emanating within it, perhaps with some circular solar recharging panels on the top, out of sight.  I would hollow out only a small portion so as to emit a dim glow rather than a spotlight.

For the second render, I placed the design in wood and mounted it vertically. I think this would look good in a much smaller scale than what it is currently, like if it was scaled and incorporated into a crown molding in a feature room. 


INSPIRATIONS:
One of my favorite artists also happens to incorporate 3D modeling software into his digital image process. His style embodies a lot of the different aesthetics to which I am drawn.
www.raycaesar.com
Metatron http://www.raycaesar.com/gallery/2008/0 )

The idea of incorporating the serial slice and inner glow into a chandelier came from coming across many light fixtures of this style in my estate sale hunting, which has allowed me to collect lots of unique pieces. I once owned a bright yellow fixture similar to the one pictured:



No comments:

Post a Comment