Monday, October 27, 2014

The-Phong "James" Pham: Slots







For my design inspiration I kept skeletons in mind. When using the modular pieces in class I noticed that I wanted to use smaller pieces to have more control of my building. This made me think of the bones in my hand. There are many little intricate bones that allow the hand to take many shapes. So I made smaller pieces in hopes that I could have more control and sharper details when building a structure from the modular pieces.
A friend of mine had an extra wood board sitting in his garage, I asked him if could have a 48 by 24 inch chunk of it. He obliged and cut it for me but it came out a little wonky, I hope it won't be an issue for the laser cutter.
I worked with my grid in millimeters, for simplicity sake. I measured by wood board to be about 4 mm thick, so on the grid, I used had a major grid line every 4 mm. I figured that this way would make the creating the pieces easier for me.

Since the grid was set up the way it was it was easy for me to make the shapes I needed with just using the rectangle tool and the curve boolean. I would just overlay the rectangles and use the curve boolean to combine them. I did use the array pole for the circular pieces, I also mirrored at areas that made it convenient. 

No comments:

Post a Comment