Monday, October 13, 2014

Brian Chancellor: Project 3: Serial Form





Project Description:

For this project I went back to my inspiration from the first project.  I decided I wanted to do a square shape with a lot of negative space inside.  This presented a unique challenge for the serial piece.  I ended up solving this by having four different rods, one in each corner.  I really like how the outside of the cube is smooth and flat while I wanted the inside to have the terraced look.  I also drew inspiration from geodes such as this.  

Also I drew inspiration from the Endover Cube at the University of Michigan by Tony Rosenthal.


Here are my slices.  I tried to use up as much of the cutting material as possible.  I do not like to waste material as it ends up costing more.



When I modeled this piece in Maya, I used a subtractive method.  I made large pyramids and subtracted them from the top and bottom.  This slanted inside look would give me the terrace effect in Rhino when I serialized the model.



I kept this piece all one color for Keyshot because I wanted a polished stone or gem look to the piece.



No comments:

Post a Comment