Monday, October 27, 2014

Sara DeShong-Baker Project 4: Slots

(week 10)
DESIGN:
When setting up the root module, I decided to play with mirrored hexagons centered with offset circles. I added 2 'running boards' (long flanking rectangles) so that the module could still have some support structure when playing with the boolean tools.  However, I had to do some detail trimming around the entire module to get a clean version for notching. 




INSPIRATION:
Since the slots project is basically a do-anything puzzle, I thought it would be fun to do hunting elements for the root variations. It was hard not to think of this when setting up the root module because it reminded me of a scope sight. The variations are each a play on an arrow head, fletchings, and a bow scope. 






LAYOUT:
Per instructions, I did not add etching on the final pieces and laid them out on 24" x 24" instead of the original 24" x 48". I'll have a lot of non-notched drop pieces that are small enough to just act as connectors. However, I did add a dozen each notched versions of the drops as well. 



MATERIAL & RESULT:
Material is 1/8" medium brown hardboard. I like the edge darkening effect (and smell) of the laser cut pieces. Below are a few projects made with the cut finished pieces. 
Structure of pieces, loctite glue, and a modified spoke.

Purposed as a 3D business card holder for our shop's front counter, which was often crowded with cards laid flat.

Another variation on the card holder: this one displays both the front and the back, which is perfect for postcards that touring customers send us.  Made of pieces and loctite glue.

Rocketship. Just for fun. Modified spoke, pieces, loctite glue. 

LESSONS LEARNED:
- The laser is precise. I tried to play it safe (because this was my first project with the laser cutter) by making my notches 0.13 instead of exactly 0.125, but there was way too much play. I had to use the glue to keep the structures I made stable.  For my lamp and waffle projects I designed around exact measurements to avoid this. 
- More notched 'pac-man' pieces. They didn't do much for structure or balance, but were more fun than the whole drop pieces. 



No comments:

Post a Comment