Monday, October 13, 2014

Ed Whetstone: Project 3, Serial Form (Trapped Sphere)

This post has all content for Assignment 3, serial form for laser cutting.

See all updates below the fold!


I had two goals going into this project:


  1. make something more geometric than my previous two pieces
  2. work entirely in Rhino, because it scares me.
Week 1:

I had some difficulty picking a form that was simple enough to build with my extremely limited Rhino abilities, but interesting enough to be worth the effort.  One thing that really interested me was the ability to intersperse two objects with the serial slices.

To wit:

(source: Katlyn Ross, found here )


So I opted for a sphere, trapped inside a twisted cube.

Week 2:


This was the final shape, ready for separating into the cut sheet:


I like the idea of the interior shape to be in the same color family as the larger - it makes the two feel less alien when put together, but definitely distinct shapes.



(keyshot render)



No comments:

Post a Comment