Thursday, October 16, 2014

Steve Zapata Project 3 Serial Form

In thinking of my previous piece Touch I was trying to imagine other ways I could express, in abstract, the way that man interacts and shapes the world. Previously, I dealt with this in an abstract, almost magical way, demonstrated by the physical "shaping" of light. Knowing that we would be serial slicing these objects created an interesting barrier for my creativity. I wasn't able to represent this shaping of light with enough detail to meet my own satisfaction. At this point I began to think about interaction and intensionality in a different way. I realized that the terraced look that serial slicing exhibits mirrored agricultural terraces, which are entirely man made. The word "Agriculture" calls to mind extreme intentionality and an earthy tangibility and I thought it a fitting spiritual successor to create a sculptural piece that represented this. Mirroring, in opposite, the intangibility of shaping light, this piece represents a rougher, more physical interpretation of intentionality.

I started with a modified version of my original sculpt. Here, then hand (Intention/Interaction) is both grasping and depressing into a sphere in much the same way it would depress dirt.

Some wire-frames and WIP shots:


 The first serial slice model. Here the "terraced" look becomes apparent.
The final renders: Here, in an inversion of norms, terracing us used to define intention.








No comments:

Post a Comment