Monday, October 13, 2014

Andres Ortiz-Mena Gonzalez Project 3 Serial Form

I have always found the laser cutting aesthetics to be very interesting and intriguing, how serializing turns an original product into something completely new and for this project I thought what I would like best if I were to laser cut my product and have it within my house.
For some strange reason what came to my mind was a cat. There is something I really like about organic furniture or decoration, so a cat shaped table or bookshelf would be something I would really enjoy.

So taking into reference organic furniture I went ahead and borrowed a cat model and slightly modified it to fit into what I had in mind

And then turned it into a serialized new creation






 I really like how one can still tell its a cat yet have it lose most of its features, I didn't want it to have too many features as I was going to a bit of abstractism in order to give it that furniture look.

For the heck of it I also had it checked at shapeways to see how it would work 3d printed


When seeing the serialized cat it made me think a lot of post-modernist furniture and I felt a red slick texture would work great with it, having it be made out of resin in the real world. That's where the name "the red cat" in French comes from, just to make it sound fancier.
I would really like to be able to have this serialized form in a living room space, making it a couple feet long



No comments:

Post a Comment