Sunday, October 12, 2014

Kristin Loud - Project 1: Gargoyle

Gargoyle

I chose to model a gargoyle because I have always found them interesting due to the didactic function behind them. From tradition, it is an intimidating figure placed at the top of churches to ward off evil spirits.  Gargoyles also symbolize a warning and reminder to parishioners entering the church that there is evil out in the world. As apart of the architecture the statues serve the function of waterspouts when it rains. It is also now an ornate decoration placed on or near important buildings.

References:

 











Block out Model:


I used the image on the left as my main reference in order to I block out the form I wanted in Maya.









Then I transitioned into Mudbox to add detail and personalize the model.

Detail and Pose: 
Once I added details to the model, I used the pose tools to reposition the arms. Next, I imported it back into Maya in order to triangulate the model, reduce the poly count and soften edge in a way that will not jeopardize the initial form.















Reduce Poly and Triangulate:

















Resize and Edge Analysis:
 











Upload Design:
Due to the size of the Gargoyle the context has changed some. A miniature figurine is not going to be as intimidating a piece as a 2-ton stone statue. The fact that it is small makes it more personalized; it can easily be carried with you. Its representation of the Gargoyle still symbolizes guardianship, power, and awareness.



KeyShot Render 1


KeyShot Render 2



Photo of Print


No comments:

Post a Comment