Monday, October 27, 2014

Blake Philley: Slots

My slot project was based on a lot of concentric shapes. I was looking through images of shapes and I liked and was inspired by shapes like these:




I was also inspired by the Star of David,


I like these kinds of shapes and decided to work with them.

I came up with these shapes:
The unit forms -

And here they are layed out -


I used a lot of curve boolean in this project to create my shapes out of simpler shapes like circles and rectangles. I also built some custom shapes to use for the curve boolean tool to re-shape things properly.

Update:

My slots did not go as planned, I somehow ended up printing them with slots that were about 2.5x larger than they needed to be, and trying to do anything with that was kind of a nightmare. I used some gorilla glue as well as some Loctite to try and get them to work with me, but those can only go so far. But also, I don't think the actual shapes worked out very well. I didn't anywhere near enough pieces to use as connectors for the alrger parts, and my original plan with a terraced sort of object just wouldn't work without a lot of those. All in all, I kind of screwed this project up.

No comments:

Post a Comment