Sunday, October 12, 2014

Christopher Chambers - Project 1: Submarine

First time touching Maya in 5 years or so, making for quite an experience! Wound up working with polygons as creating what I'd planned to in NURBs proved to be immensely difficult.



For a while I've been wanting to make little 'plug-together' miniatures for 3D printing, opted to go with a submarine for the first try. A lot've influence came from both Total Annihilation and Planetary Annihilation, as their silhouetting-based style is pretty neat. Started with a shape and went from there, mostly via extrusion, until it looked roughly like what I'd had in my head. It's a water-jet based boat, hence the lack of fins! The bits hanging off of the sides are supposed to be a cover for the open bay.

Some references:


Update!

Ran the Shapeways checks and it seems there's a single spot on the model that wound up giving a 'Thin Walls' notification, due to a portion that tapers, as seen here:


I had, interestingly, also found that Shapeways has a lot easier a time running checks for non-plastics than plastics (or at least displaying them), as seen here:

Plastics -

Metals -

I believe I've fixed the problem but I need to double-check the scaling in Rhino whenever I next find myself on campus.

-----

UPDATE BELOW THIS POINT

-----

As it turns, the model I'd initially uploaded did pass for most of the plastics!


As in the previous update, the 'thin walls' section just wasn't loading properly, as they were apparently doing server work at the time.




I also wound up ordering it, as at present my Solidoodle 2 needs quite a bit of work to get into running order again, and I figured it best not to risk something else breaking in the interim!

---



Modified from the original mesh.


The printed version will not be as cleanly lined, but I build models as a hobby so have plenty of tools to fix such. Files ahoy!

---


Polished white, courtesy of Shapeways.

No comments:

Post a Comment