Monday, February 3, 2020

Aleena Mir: Project 1 Castle

Concept: 

For my concept, I wanted to create a very clean and traditional type of castle with pops of color. I began at looking at pictures of castles, but found it difficult to see how to make it, so then I looked at cartoon versions of what I was searching for because it was easier to understand the structure of it. I pulled this pink cartoon image of a castle because I loved the structure of it a lot, and especially the top cones with the flags.


Process: 

The process of creating a castle started with me watching many videos to understand the program, because I had never modeled anything before. I struggled with my first castle, it ended up being very basic and boring, so I redid it. Most of the project was using basic shapes and utilizing boolean difference and boolean union, as well as box edit to get the entire project done. I started off with the base/outer wall of the castle. I used the cylinder and rectangle tool to create the whole base. I made a wide half circle and tilted it and used boolean difference to create the windows. Then I made the inner base of the castle, which used the rectangle tool, cylinder tool, and sphere tool as well as boolean value. I duplicated the inner base and used box edit to create the many towers that are layering on top of it. I went in with the cone tool to create the cone parts at the top of each tower. I used boolean union to combine the parts of the castle that needed to  be merged together. I created the poles for the flags with cylinder and sphere tools, and duplicated them. The flags were by far the most challenging part of the project, because I had no idea how to make them. I started off using curves for the flags, and extruding it. I created an extruded triangle, and did a boolean difference between them. The shape was still not how I wanted so I used cylinders and did more boolean difference. Although there are flaws with the flags, it was as close as I could get it with my knowledge of tools.





Materials: 

For my materials, I messed with a lot of types of stones. I pulled an image from the internet of a mossy type stone, but it did not look how I wanted, so I switched to the stone that is provided by Keyshot. The colors had blended together because of the way I had joined some parts of the castle using boolean union (which I ended up regretting) so I changed the shades of the towers, to create a difference. I then used paint material for all of the cones, and colored them how I want. I used a velvet material for the flags, which didn't appear much like velvet. For the poles I used gold metal to create a shiny appearance.

No comments:

Post a Comment